My One And Only Love/ Exclusive Memory (Somewhere Only We Know) — 独家记忆 Chapter 3 Part 2

   Greetingshellmdeareaders! 

     Apologies, my MOAOL readers! I actually forgot to set a posting schedule for this post >.< TBH, I don't even know which day of the week should I post MOAOL chapters anymore HAHAHAHAHA. I guess I'll be posting this chapter every Friday from next week, 'kay? I'll need to stock-pilling more chapters for MOAOL to keep up with the update of Why Secretary Kim chapters in the future~

On their way home, oh to be exact, Mu Chenghe's home :)

Chapter 3 Part 2: Bright Moon VS Ditch 
Translated&edited by Fei斐 

    In early winter, the wind was bitingly cold at night. The car was very warm, heated by the heater. The dawn gradually cracked the skylight, vaguely feeling fresh air coming in rather freshly.

    Along the way, he drove very seriously. I didn't know if he regretted secretly in his heart, regretting that he was unlucky enough to teach such a student like me.

    During this time, some traffic lights were turned off, and instead, it was turned into a single flashing yellow lights.

    When arriving at the third ring road's intersection, there was another red light. Mu Chenghe stopped and waited with a good attitude. He was holding the steering wheel with his right palm, his left elbow propped on the edge of the window to support his chin as he was looking at the passing cars in front of him.

    While his attention was elsewhere, I sneaked a glance at his face through the rear view mirror.

    I didn't pay much attention just now, and only now I realized that he was wearing a pair of thin black-framed glasses. Unexpectedly, he was short-sighted and probably didn't have time to wear contact lenses when he received my call.

    Both of his eyes were behind those lenses, so they didn't look big, but were very deep. My mom used to say that big eyes were charming and small eyes were bewitching. I wonder whose immortal soul he was born with.

    The eyes were light brown, and the bridge of the nose was very firm.

    If you wanted to choose the most attractive place among his five senses, there was the mouth. The corners of his mouth seemed to be slightly raised from birth, and when he squeezed it lightly, it made people feel like he was smiling even when he's expressionless.

    According to the aesthetics of Xiao Bai and friends, Mu Chenghe ought to be regarded as a very good-looking human. However, from the bottom of my heart, I still thought that my old father was better.

    The traffic lights changed.

    The car moved again. He withdrew his attention and his eyes swept away. His and my crossed upon each other through the mirror, and our eyes met for an instant. He was calm, but I was embarrassed, like someone who had been caught pondering (I guess it's like fantasizing?) about a certain person in the dark for a long time, and turned my head hurriedly.

    "What do you want?" he said.

    "It turns out that in the middle of the night, some traffic lights will turn into flashing yellow lights. It's really interesting." I spouted out some random answer, "I'm all from the old City A, so I've never noticed it before."

    He smiled and did not answer.

    I gave another reply, "Ah yes, why was there a red light just now?"

    "Have you not noticed that the traffic at the intersection with red light is busier than the place with only yellow light?"

    When he said this, I thought about it carefully, and I found out it was the case, "It turned out to be like this, ah."

    "It seems that you lack the ability to observe." He joked, "Rodin said, 'Beauty is everywhere. For our eyes, what is lacking is not beauty, but discovery.'"

    My mother's rules were very strict, and would never let me go home over 11 o'clock after the bus picked me up. Therefore, although I had lived here for so many years, I rarely wander outside at two or three in the morning.

    After hearing these words, I really observed how the streets were in the middle of the night.

    The area that was usually very busy during daytime was extremely quiet now. Except for a few security guards who were on duty at night, there was almost no one. On the street side, a few tramps sleeping could be seen.

    Because of the few vehicles on the road, certain vehicles that couldn't enter the city during the day would speed up unscrupulously and flash past them. The huge roar was particularly harsh in the silent night.

    Some streets actually already had sanitation workers (street cleaners) out to sweep the floor. The orange street lights stretched their shadows very long, and it smelled of hardship.

    Workers on the square are changing potted plants for greenery.

    When I passed by an intersection on North Street, I saw the huge "Beef BBQ*" sign and couldn't help but smile. I pointed my finger at it and said to Mu Chenghe, "When I was in elementary school, the barbecue restaurant was onlh a small roadside food stall. The old lady’s grilled chicken wings are very delicious, but it took her a very long time to grill that I'd always got scolded by my mom if I returned home late, so we (XT and friends) would urge her to do it faster every single time. As a result, the old lady always yelled at us angrily, 'What are you kids are anxious about, this kind of stuff needs to be grilled slowly to taste delicious.'"

(*T/N: 牛烧烤 niú shāokǎo = Beef barbecue)

    He couldn't help but smile, "You seem to be a local?"

    I nodded, "Yes," After I finished answering, I hesitated and changed my words, "But not really."

    "How can it be both yes and no?"

    "I only came to City A with my family when I was eleven, and my accent was not quite right when I spoke in local dialect. Outsiders thought I was a local, and locals thought I was an outsider." I murmured, suddenly feeling sad.

    He laughed, "You were so young, so you don't have a sense of belonging?" His tone somewhat belittling me.

    As I expected, if there's no common ground, a single word is a waste of breath*. 

(*T/N: It's a well-known Chinese phrase 话不投机半句多 huà bù tóujī bànjù duō, meaning it's useless to talk with someone who's not on the same page as us.)

    I frowned, turned my face away and stopped talking to him.

    After a while, he suddenly said, "I have lived in many places, and in the end I don't know where my hometown is. But I don't feel like you."

    I was puffed up, but couldn't help turning my head and asked, "Why?"

    "I have been a little different in the eyes of others since I was a child, so I have long been used to it."

    "Different? How are you different?" I wondered.

    His eyes raised slightly, but he didn't answer.

    I was really curious at this moment, and I carefully looked at him twice from top-to-bottom-bottom-to-top. His limbs were healthy and his facial features were correct, he had not been disfigured, and he had all five senses right, and he couldn't be color-blind in terms of his awareness to traffic lights.

    I really didn't find anything strange with him.

    After thinking it over, I tentatively asked, "You... there's nothing wrong with your brain, right?"

    Mu Chenghe looked at me deeply, squinted his eyes, and said without a smile, "Really worthy of being the representative of the class I'm teaching."

    The sarcasm was beyond words.

    In fact, what I had really wanted to ask was not about the brain, but about another matter. However, I was rather embarrassed to say it, and was afraid of hurting his self-esteem. I was being all understanding, but what I got was— his ridicule.

    I couldn't help but thought of the sentence lamenting over the passing of spring and feeling sad as autumn comes— I entrusted my heart to the bright moon, but the moon shines upon the ditch instead*.

(*T/N: This is where this chapter's title, Bright Moon VS Ditch😂, was inspired from LOL. I guess the sentence above was to express XT's feeling of betrayal towards MCH's ridicule despite her being "understanding".. oh, our Xue Tong🤣🤣🤣)

    What a tragedy!

    💜        💜        💜    

I didn't ask my friend to check(proofread) this chapter for me, so if there's anything that bothers you, please leave a comment or two, so I can check them over~ Thank you! ^_^

Chapter 3 part 3 will be on Friday next week (July 16) at 7 PM GMT+7☺✌

Comments

  1. This character is so funny! Thanks for the translation.❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss🤣 you're very welcome❤️❤️❤️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Popular on this blog

My One And Only Love/ Exclusive Memory [Chapter List]

My One And Only Love/ Exclusive Memory (Somewhere Only We Know) 独家记忆 Chinese Book [English Translation]— Chapter 1 Part 1

My One and Only Love/ Exclusive Memory (Somewhere Only We Know) — 独家记忆 Chinese Book [English Translation] Introduction